Frontman and Songwriter of The Rentals, Founding Member of Weezer, Matt Sharp has seen and lives the dream of many musicians around the world, myself included. It was very gracious of him and his team to give an hour of direct access and multiple exchanges before and after to make this series of interviews for SingingBassist.com. You will find out about his peculiar methods of album composition, his self-constructed bass guitar, his collaboration style, and much more. But for now, enjoy the video, in which Matt tells us:
- What his main drive is now?
- What his plans are for promoting in Europe?
- Does he play bass guitar on all of his recordings?
- Did he enter the planning phase of his new Album armed with demos and if so from where?
- How much of his performance consists of him playing bass guitar?
- How would he describe his bass guitars?
Enjoy firsthand their newest album, Lost in Alphaville.
Also, their complete discography is useful reference material for aspiring Singing Bassists. Including their first album, Return of the Rentals.
Their second album will be discussed in more detail in the subsequent posts: Seven More Minutes.